Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Introduction

GeoPackage is an Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) standard for storing geospatial data and information in an SQLite database. The GeoPackage specification describes a set of conventions for storing the following content types:

  • vector features
  • tile matrix sets (pyramids) of imagery and raster maps at various scales
  • schema
  • metadata
  • extensions


I was named the chairman of the GeoPackage Standards Working Group (SWG) about six months ago. The more I get acclimated to this role, the more I realize that this initiative will only be successful if it is embraced by the geospatial community at large (not just OGC, its members, or their customers). For that to happen, I need to be more active in reaching out. This blog is part of that effort.

In this blog, I will share my thoughts about where I think GeoPackage needs to go and what the SWG is doing to make that happen. While this content is my own, I do intend for it to reflect the consensus positions the SWG has reached. My style is to keep things brief, direct, and to the point so posts will be roughly the length of this one. I plan to post something about once a week for the next couple of months and then taper off to about once a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment