Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Improving geopackage.org

Part of my job as GeoPackage SWG Chair is to improve outreach. This includes disseminating information (like this blog post) but it also means making information easier to discover. I feel good about the state of the specification / encoding standard but our outreach leaves room for improvement. One potential area of improvement is our website, geopackage.org. It is okay but it could be much better.

Over the next few months, I intend to revamp this site to make it more useful for its target audiences. When a visitor reaches the site, it should be self-evident where to go for relevant information. We're not there today. In response, I plan to reorganize the content to align it by reader type: general, developer, administrator, data publisher, data consumer, and SWG participant.

For this to work, I need more input from the user community. For example, a geopackage.org reader may wish to learn not only what GPKG implementations are out there but what they are useful for. Therefor I will be reaching out to vendors to clarify the role of the software that is currently listed under http://www.geopackage.org/implementations.html. I am also going to solicit user guides and demonstrations that can be incorporated into the site. This content can describe FOSS or proprietary software; my goal is to inform and to present options to the community.

If you can help me out here, I want to know about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment